The people in Angel's neighborhood? Me, (her mom), Steve, (her dad), and two sisters, Natalie and Serena. We're having a ball with Angel in our family now! She's sweet, cute as can be, and full of love and cuddles. She is also fiesty, fun, curious, and loves to chase chipmunks! Her birthday is October 29th,2010, and she became part of our family on April 26th of 2012.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Who Rescued Who One Year Ago Today?

Today marks one year to the day we adopted Angel! One thing that sticks out in my mind was how hesitant I was to get another dog after losing our Sophie. I swore I wouldn't want to get close to her. That lasted about 3 minutes- the moment I saw her face walk through the door I changed my mind. I thought I was going to cry when I touched her, but I didn't. For one thing, she wouldn't let me touch her! Maybe it was a God thing....he helped the transition by giving us both the time we needed.  She was scared to death of us and I was scared of getting close to her, but she needed me. I had no choice. I had to pick her up, comfort her and speak sweet words to her. Sophie was the last one I had done that for. I didn't think I could do it again.  Who knew that it was exactly what I needed to heal my own broken heart. God is so good.

I cleaned out my file cabinet today and found the vet records for Sophie. I tearfully went through them, kept a few memorable pieces and hesitated just a moment before letting the rest slip into the trash. I can't believe I can still cry so easily just thinking of her. I took one last look at Sophie's name printed on the folder, then replaced it with Angel's name. I looked over Angel's paperwork from the last two shelters and wanted to cry again!  Her file is now in the family file cabinet where it belongs! And Sophie is still where she belongs...firmly in my heart.

These years, however many we may get with Angel, will go fast. I can't stress enough that because it goes so fast, these animals in shelters need families now. And believe it or not, a part of us needs them even more....

2 comments:

  1. Happy Adoption Day to Angel, Jami and family. God sure has a way of working things out, that's for sure. Glad Angel's files are in the family file cabinet and Sophie will be forever in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel's "gotcha day" is my birthday! April 26 is really a great day!! You are so right about us needing to rescue these amazing animals as much as they need us. I have 3 rescue cats. Two I have had for 13+ years and one has only been with us for almost 6 mos. One of the older kitties will be leaving us soon and we are heartbroken, but we love our new boy. Who needs who the most? I think it is a perfect circle with no beginning or end, only love.

    I am so glad Angel and you have found each other. Happy belated Gotcha Day!

    ReplyDelete

"I know Love. I had a dog."